Today is Decision Day for the Seattle Sounders to finally punch their ticket to the 2015 MLS Cup playoffs.
I should be more stressed, as a million things could go wrong. Like say, a draw in a very winnable game, or the Sounders inexplicably coming out flat. But I don’t think that happens. As I wrote earlier, Seattle has been one of the better Western squads recently. If the Sounders win they’re in. The players know this. We all know this. RSL doesn’t have Kyle Beckerman due to yellow-card accumulation. Joao Plata hasn’t played since coming off the field against Portland 2 weeks ago. RSL is a proud club and are playing only for that pride. The reign of RSL ends with a whimper today in Sodo.
The Western Conference is going to be crazy today. Seattle could conceivably end up the #2 seed or miss out on the playoffs entirely. The San Jose Earthquakes and Sporting Kansas City are the two teams that could knock us out. Thankfully both have tough-as-nails matchups with Dallas and L.A., respectively.
Dallas has secured one of the byes, but is fighting for the Supporters’ Shield. L.A. is playing to hold on to a bye, which Vancouver, Portland, and us, could reasonably snag. Despite, and possibly in light of, last week’s home meltdown, I am predicting the Galaxy to shut down a struggling SKC side.
Want the rest of my #DecisionDay Bold Predictions? Read on:
- Dallas beats San Jose to clinch #1 throughout the West but loses the Shield to NYRB due to goal differential. A smoking hot San Jose side kisses the playoffs goodbye.
- L.A. beats SKC to secure the #2 seed and first round bye.
- Portland pounds the Rapids for an out-of-nowhere #3 seed.
- Vancouver draws a scrappy Houston squad, but settles for the #5 seed because…
- Your Seattle Sounders, in front of a packed house, win convincingly 3-1, reclaiming the #4 seed.
- SKC, with another loss, backs in to the playoffs as the #6.
Setting up a playoff bracket of:
However. I could totally see San Jose scrap out a draw in Frisco. I could see Portland have a letdown game following last week’s 5-goal bonanza. I want to see Portland play San Jose in the knockout round and get thoroughly trounced. For the Sounders, I want at least that #4 seed, which guarantee a home game in the knockout round. And I’d love a matchup with SKC or Vancouver.Today is going to be nuts. Say what you want about parity, but MLS is making for some very compelling TV on #DecisionDay.